Thursday, April 5, 2012

increments: noun

an addition to or increase in the amount or size of something, especially one of a series of small, often regular or planned increases


lesson #5
Our assignment this week over at Altered Book Lover is all about Design Principles. To be honest, I don't think about this subject much, meaning I just do what I like and if it looks good then I probably achieved one of the principles quite accidentally! lol

This layout is all about Radial Balance, which means :

"Radial balance is not very common in artists’ compositions. Radial balance is like a daisy or sunflower with everything arranged around a center. Rose windows of cathedrals use this design system. I included it because it is a technique often used in art journals."

So out of the different types of "balances", which include, symmetrical balance, asymmetrical balance and radial balance, I thought I would work with this radial balance. ( actually I had already been bouncing an idea around in my head for my next page, and it was definitely radial balanced, but shhhh don't tell Elizabeth ) ::innocent look::.....hey, I can pretend to look innocent!

Here is my page:



I took the pages from the book which I had already torn out and cut them down in 1/2" increments, so 1/2", then 1", 1 1/2" and so on. The last cut being 3". Each page was painted before adhering it, and after all the pages were on there, I sanded and distressed the edges.

If you want to see the proportional design page, then you can click here. This is a prime example of not pre-thinking the design but in the end I had followed the rules for proportion. Lucky me, lol

Now I still have unity, harmony and emphasis to work on.

7 comments:

kay said...

the next lesson sounds hard,must investigate,your pages look fab,thanks also for your kind words re otiz,x

Terrie said...

What a very cool idea for radial balance. I have been working on my book here and there but nothings finished to show yet....I'm actually looking forward to playing with the balance stuff. Like you I just kinda let my "eye" guide me and it usually turns out balanced (at least to me). As an interior designer I think I honed that ability pretty completely. I'm off today so hoping to get up to my art room and get busy. Of course that means I have to get OFF the computer! :)

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I took a color theory class once and after it I couldn't color for months because I was too worried about all the stuff I had learned. Finally I decided to ignore that and go with the gut (which is a big leader!), so I'm leery of learning things like balance. Like you, I think I usually achieve it by accident. I hadn't heard of radial balance before and wasn't too thrilled with your examples-I thought radial balanced stuff was sounding too boring and predictable... and then you showed us your page. Woot!!!! So excellent! I really like how it came out, the different increments and the colors and the fabulous saying. Okay, radial balance doesn't have to be dull! Thanks for showing me the light!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Beautiful balance page! Oddly enough--radial balance is the one that interested me most, but I won't have a chance to play with my book until next week.

Kalea Wavedancer said...

I'm loving your book!!! It makes me so happy!!!

SarahinSC said...

Hi Sandee! I'm having a tough time finding your email address. I tried replying to a comment of yours, but you must be set up as a "no-reply blogger".

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm not sure how I missed this, which means I may have also missed the other pages, too. Glad you did a synopsis post so I could catch up on your pages. BTW, I promise to NOT tell Elizabeth (but can Bleubeard be trusted with the secret?).