Wednesday, April 4, 2012

craziness: noun

Intensely involved or preoccupied

Welcome to my little world of WOYWW, brought to you by Julia over at Stamping Ground, where we visit, chat, spy....errrr.....look at each other's crafting corner of the world!
Play with us, won't you?

So...I cleaned! lol...go figure!
before:                                                                                                                                      before:
I realize that I am a spoiled, rotten bugger! I might come across as sounding ungrateful too. I apologize. But I simply cannot craft on my kitchen table. I like having my "table scape", I prefer to have all my crafting supplies "hidden" in a room all to itself. There was a time when I had to share my bedroom with it ( which made sleeping more difficult as I was apt to get out of bed to work on an idea that had just popped into my head! ) But now I have a room, I want to use that room, not my dinning area. I was afraid that my new Cricut was not going to fit on my current Cricut desk ( aka my childhood study desk, that is by rough estimate 43 years old, obviously my parents bought it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before I was born, right? wink wink! )  I also was using my old version of storage which no longer works out so I had to do some serious revamping. By looking at every one's spaces each week I was getting some
fabulous storage ideas. So it kinda motivated me to rethink my space somewhat. I came up with an over the door shoe hanger to put all my painting supplies and tools into, which freed up my cart so that I can begin loading up my Cricut cartridges. I packed up my original Cricut Create ( which will go to a friend of mine ) and put my new Cricut on the desk.  And I think this system might work out very well, although I got use to having all the Cricut cartridges open and scattered about, it was still organized chaos.....now I have to learn to deal with organized....::shivers:::.....lol

And then while I was cleaning, I figured I'd give my desk a swipe too. Now to some this may not look that clean but if I have more than 12" of real estate available on my desk to work on then it's CLEAN!! lol I also have an open path to my desk, you cannot tell in this picture but I don't have to walk around any paper nor hop over any boxes! How long will this craziness last you ask? time will tell...
While I was organizing I went through the drawer on my desk and made an awesome discovery, well at least I think it's awesome, lol It's this very large set of skeleton keys! I have no idea where they came from or any information about them, but I love them, lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my Wednesday update on Elizabeth's AB class, which you can find our current lesson #5 on Design Principles ( part 1 ), over at Altered Book Lover! If you want a refresher course on harmony, unity, balance, proportion, and emphasis, then please check out what Elizabeth wrote, she provides us with a wealth of knowledge!   

Although I painted her last week ( yes, I can paint and have really enjoyed doing so again! ) I am hoping this shows the proportion part of our homework, as I placed a large element on the right side of my page and 2 smaller elements on the left side. By creating major and minor areas in the design, it keeps the page from looking boring.


As I mentioned before; I did work on this page last week, while waiting for the next lesson. I got inspired by CraftygasheadZo cards that Zoe made using the salt technique with H20's. Thank you Zoe for answering my questions, it was a fun technique!

So I first gesso'd the page, sketched and painted my mermaid, and then used my H20's for the background, making sure they were juicy puddles to pour the (table) salt onto. It actually worked well, even considering I didn't use the rock salt. I also love her tail which has a look of hammered metal, I used some paint pens and H20's for this effect.


Just a close up of the chain holding the sea horse's cage. Between the chain and the cage being pop dotted: gives it a nice dimensional look.

quote reads:
The Mermaid once she casts her spell, holds one in her cage forever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thank you for stopping by, I hope each one of you has a glorious day. I am off to my balcony to enjoy the weather and visit some WOYWW craft rooms....maybe yours?

47 comments:

HeARTworks said...

Great work on the AB page! I'm wondering where I can put a shoe bag near my work area! Seems like a great idea, if only I can find some space for it! :^) patsy #20

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...I know what you mean Sandee you need to escape from distraction I craft in my bedroom and it doesn't make for a good nights sleep...Mel :)
Have a loVely Easter.

BJ said...

Nice and organised Sandee, hope it works well for you. Lovely mermaid as ever, your painting skills are fab. BJ #58

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, lots to see today! the shoe hanger is a great idea, i love skeleton keys too, and the mermaid page is gorgeous. and yes, i agree more than 12" is clean to me too!
happy WOYWW, happy Easter and thanks for sharing!
blessings and hugs from #19
peggy aplSEEDS

Rita said...

What a Fabulous work room Sandee. You certainly are a lucky girl. I've thoroughly enjoyed my snoop around and what a lovely end to the journey. Your AB page is beautiful. Have a Lovely Easter. Hugs from Scotland. Rita xx

Sandra Botham said...

Wow your space looks really neat and tidy.
Loving the mermaid, she is stunning. Have a great day.
Sandra N092. x

Jacqueline said...

Oh wow!! gotta LOVE that craft space!!! I share mine with my bed! lol... a total of 5ft is all I got but it's my little sanctuary!

Absolutley LOVE what you have done with your Altered Book!! It's beautiful!! Don't think mine will be as good as that...but hey, I'm still learning so the next one will be better!! lol

Thanks for sharing,

Jackie x #17

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the pics of your craft room, I love a snoop! I also love your childhood study desk, lucky you to still have it. Your mermaid is beautiful, I love the colours. Suzanne #100

CraftygasheadZo said...

Fab tidy up, looks super organised. Am so pleased you enjoyed the salt technique the results are super, and works so well on your pages. I've bought some coarse sea salt to try next time, see what effects I get with that. Take care, & enjoy peeking at the WOYWW desks this week. Zo xx 78

May said...

Well look at you having a clean up, gosh your room looks so organized.. can I come and play!!! your AB is fab love the mermaid and the birdcage very clever idea, Happy Easter, Hugs May x x x No11

Julia Dunnit said...

Wow! Where do I start Sandee? What a great re-vamp and no, you don't sound spoiled at all to me. But I am the queen of spoilt, according to some!! Your altered book is a dream tobehold, you clearly are really enjoying it..ain't that Elizabeth something.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Sandee you have been having fun while I have been absent as far as blogging goes (this is not about to end yet sorry!) love your idea of rearranging thanks for sharing and happy WOYWW Shaz in Oz .x.

Redanne said...

Gosh Sandee, how tidy are you!! Love that huge stash of paper you have there.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

oh i love your space!!! and great wrok onyour art journal

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm jealous--your work room looks so organized! And your proportion page is excellent!

Unknown said...

lots lovely and organised, adore those keys, thanks for the snoop

Hugs
Judie xx no 121

Terrie said...

Ain't organization grand? Love the tidy new organized you! Looks like you're ready for all sorts of creative goodness. I spied your AB on your desk awaiting more stuff. Can't wait to see your next steps....Happy spring from woyww#59

Spyder said...

ohoo yes, woyww is there, posted about 10 minutes past midnight this morning, and I still hadn't finished this weeks freebie...so he came out on top and as the first post this week...I snuggled down in bed about 4 in the morning! Was woken by the cat that isn't ours at 7...and have been blog busy all day! I'm happy to say, seeing every one in the north of England has had snow, it's lovely and sunny here now, down south! Your journal is looking fantastic, and I'm sad to say...I'm starting again! probably coz I'm not using the right stuff, but i will get it right!! have a lovely Easter over there in North Carolina! HapPy WoYwW!!Is HerE!!
Have a great crafty week!
((Lyn)) was #22!

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Sandee!

Thanks for checking in on me. I'm doing fine and Katie (my other dog) is doing well too. I think she'll be fine as an only dog. I'm hoping anyway.

I LOVE all the colors in your mermaids hair! I'll be making the rounds to some WOYWW sites over the weekend. Usually I do a bit of browsing at work but have to cut back on that.......

I will join in next week, promise!

Again, thanks for thinking of me and checking on me.

Hugs,
Kay

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sandee, nice job with the organization. I firmly believe that the same way of storing things doesn't work forever and it's very satisfying to find a new way of doing things sometimes. Thanks for your cloud & flower suggestions over at my blog. Happy WOYWW. Laura #118

Clare with paint in her hair said...

love your mermie page!

donnalouiserodgers said...

ah, I have yet to do this weeks B&E class, your book is looking beautiful

Dx @ 80

trisha too said...

Your area looks super tidy to me--people keep telling me my desk is messy, and I'm thinking, ladies, do you see the 12 inches of flat space here? Ignore the paint and ink everywhere, this is clean!!

Happy Easter to you,
:)trisha
#38

Miriam said...

Well done for the organising!

Fabulous pages.

Miriam #107

Barb King said...

Looks great, Sandee, you really have yourself organized, now. Love how the AB is coming along, sounds like you had success with the salt method, I am going to try that. I'm # 116 today, but no one has commented, so I wonder if I did something wrong. Have a great week, thanks for your comment on my card! Barb

Ann B said...

Another great background and your painted mermaid is so lovely. Wish I had a proper craft space but it is only a small bungalow so I make do with my dining room.

Ann B
#75

Debs Willis said...

Hi Sandee. If you saw my blog posts on craft room reorganisation you will know that I think it's a wonderful idea to have your own crafty space! I used the dining room table for such a long time, and it was always chaos. unfortunately not much time to spend in my lovely craft space for last few weeks, but soon!!!

Happy woyww

Debs #160

Darnell J Knauss said...

Great job, Sandee! Looks like you got some useable vertical space above the new Cricut, too, maybe? Have a wonderful week! #141

fairy thoughts said...

great re-organisation, I love it when a plan comes together.
Good work on the AB I am soooo behind with mine. Your mermaidis lovely
thanks for sharing
janet #56

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I understand how WOYWW can make you want to change things and get organized. I fight the urge myself (since any change would be a major undertaking and eat up all my crafty time I'm sure). I laughed at how you said you were used to the pile of cartridges for an organization method. I've done that! Your mermaid page is so lovely! She has a seahorse in a cage!!! That is so awesome.

Shoshi said...

Love your creative space, Sandee! You are very organised!! And I adore your book page - beautiful little mermaid, with a sweet seahorse in a cage! Adorable. Beautiful colours, beautiful artwork...

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog, and glad you like my goodies! I'm having great fun with it all.

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi #25

Lisa Richards said...

I, too, especially liked the idea of using a shoe organizer to hold supplies! I'm very happy for you that you get to be so spoiled! :)

ScrappnBee said...

If you are spoiled, then I am down right rotten! LOL! Those skeleton keys do look super cool. Good luck with the new real estate! LOL! Thanks for visiting. Have a great Easter. Amanda x142

Pat N. said...

Hey girlie, how you doing?! I think that shoe hanger is a wonderful idea. So many pockets for all your STUFF!! And your art project is terrific!--Pat N.

okienurse said...

great look around your crafting area. I am getting ready to switch over to the bigger of the two spare bedrooms so I can have more storage space. I have so much paper and stash that I should probably be ashamed! I love your journal pages! Happy Easter. Vickie #60

Karen said...

Well done with the organising, it looks great and I just love your AB pages, they are gorgeous.

I am sorry I am a bit late this week!! Have a fab WOYWW and a lovely Easter, Luv Karen xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Like your new organized space!! I can't bear crafting in a mess, it makes me all cross! Love the mermaid's seahorse too - what a fab touch :)
Hugs, LLJ #7 xx

SophieNewton said...

wow, love the mermaid, she is awesome x
Sophie no.71

Danielle said...

I would want to work in your room too. The space is great and very organized. Love your mermaid in your AB. The colors are so pretty and vivid. dani133

Mari K. said...

Your room is looking good and your altered book is coming along nicely. I stumbled upon the Altered Booklover blog last week (I had been trying to avoid it because I so badly want to make one but can't imagine finding the time) Well, to make a long story short, I'm working on removing pages of my first AB, lol. Mari #34

Mari K. said...

And the shoe hangers are great for storage! I hung one on the back of our pantry door, it's great for all the kids snacks and stuff.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

It is good wandering round other desks and picking up ideas that would help us to keep things straight. Glad you are enjoying your new space. Thank you for your visit and kind wishes for Flash. Have a good Easter. xx Maggie #9

Hettie said...

Don't you feel better now that you have had a good clean up and have some more space on your desk to work in?!! Now when are you coming to do mine?!! LOL!
Lovely work on your book. That mermaid is lovely and I am going to have to get some H2O fingies!
Hugs
Sam
xxx

Angie said...

My favorite thing, organizing!!! Oh I cold take apart and put back for days on end! Wonderful ideas there and love that desk! Have a great weekend and a very happy Easter!

shazsilverwolf said...

Late again, but I got here, lol. Love your pics, and I adore your chair. I love real, solid classic chairs.Happy WOYWW, Shaz #96

Claire Smillie said...

LOVE your altered book page and I too much much much prefer to create in a tidy environment, think it helps kick start my creativity!

Claire #85

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Again, I'm SO sorry for being late to see this post. I think that's why I'm not joining WOYWW this week. There is simply no time, especially since I am still cleaning up around my place after the storm last Sat night/Sun morning.

I have TWO of those over the door shoe hangers for each of my closet doors. They are SO useful, it's unbelievable.

Your proportion spread is great, and I love that you used THREE items in your spread. And that Sea Horse's cage is quite lovely. It must be a die, but I've never seen one like it, so way to go with originality.