Sunday, May 20, 2012

edible: adjective

suitable for eating by human beings, or bugs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love growing plants by seeds, there is just something about them sprouting up from the earth and coming into their own that makes me smile. I love checking on them everyday to see how much they have grown, and I especially love it when they flower...

my first Nasturtium flower:
This is one of my easy to grow from seeds plant, I hope you might try it too, it actually likes a neglected home, so perfect for anyone who doesn't have a green thumb. Do not fertilize it or you will get all leaves and no flowers, weird but true!
"Both nasturtium flowers and leaves are edible as long as you don't use pesticides. They give a peppery punch similar to watercress in salads and pasta dishes, and the flowers add a hit of color and flavor."
Someone thinks they they taste good too and  has been chomping on a leaf..
I am wondering who the culprit is?
The only bad thing about Naturism's is that their heads turn to face the sun, leaves too for that matter. So to get the above picture I had to hold the camera way out over the balcony's edge, the picture below is the view I have usually!

I also am a succulent lover and this is one of my new additions, it's a Jade Rose. It is a hybrid alpine ground cover succulent, aka Hens and Chicks :) I love the fuzzy little tips of the leaves!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well tonight my photography group is heading downtown Asheville so that we can practice taking night photos. This should be interesting, I am looking forward to it! I'm hoping there will some pictures worth sharing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget Project Pinterest!
In the hills of North Carolina

5 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...it's always exciting when the first flower appears & it may be small but boy with the colour of flame she stands out!...loVely piccy's Sandee...Mel :)
Not sure I fancy eating one though x

Redanne said...

I just have this vision of you leaning over the balcony!......don't lean too far, my friend. Love your pictures, amazing as usual. Crafty hugs, Anne x

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I love succulents but can only grow cacti indoors because of the weather. As a kid we did have a cactus outside that even bloomed and survived through the NY winter.

Jennifer McLean said...

So glad you found me through IA, hope to see you join my Artist's Play Room and participate. I'm now following you!
Best,
Jenn

Unknown said...

I will certainly try those flowers...I need an easy to grow type
-KAT-
Hope you have had a great weekend
Hey you are a winner at my blog
-KAT-