Saturday, March 9, 2013

indoctrinate: verb

to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments : teach
or
 
 to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle

pronunciation
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Springing Forward!!
Don't forget to move your clocks ahead an hour tonight
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you get your inspiration?
This is how I get mine.

First it began with a challenge...
which in this case is Helmar's March Challenge "Tag-You're-It".
Tag-Challenge-template

For me, I have a slight obsession with mason jars, so I thought I'd make a tag by die cutting a jar using my Sizzix die and Big Shot Machine. So yes, my love for mason jars inspires me.
Now since I need a solid back for my tag, I took the die cut piece and traced the shape on a sheet of white card stock, I'll cut it out later.
Next, I picked out my color palette, which revolved around Maya Road's Fabric Tape, Country Rose. So the fabric tape inspires my colors.
 I picked out some of my new Ranger Distress Paints to match.
Antique Linen ( yes it was all messed up from shipping but Simon Says they are replacing it :), Spun Sugar, Seedless Preserves, Forest Moss, and Bundled Sage
My first step was to spread the Antique Linen onto the tag, wet my finger and spread it out. Let dry.
Using new products inspires me. It's fun exploring how they work. So here, I took 3 colors and dabbed them onto the Tim Holtz grunge board hearts, utilized a wet finger to spread the paint around a bit. Used my heat gun to dry them.
 Using an old favorite and well used stamp inspires me. This script stamp is made by Prima and I love it along with my stand by ink from Stazon. I'm embarrassed by how yellowed and yucky the stamp looks, but it's my testimony as to how well loved it is...or...that I don't clean my stamps very well, hmm.
Another inspiration for me is to combine challenges. Moxie Fab is having a Washi Tape challenge. Trends can be very inspiring!
I edged the fabric tape with the Stazon ink and put a small dollop of Helmar's 450 between each fold to hold it together. Snipped the ends for a banner shape.
Shopping for unusual products in home improvements stores is a fun inspiration for me. I discovered Flashing Tape years ago, and it comes in a humongous size roll which will last forever! Here I cut a section off and then into small strips which I folded over to make these flat strands which I shaped to the curve of the mason jar rim.
 ( and yes, I continually lay products out to see how everything looks as I go along to make sure I like how everything is working together )
I glued down the metal shaped strands to the jar rim with my Helmar's 450 and once dried, I used my embossing tools to draw lines into the rim. I also took my Ranger's Distress marker to outline the jar and my water pen to lighten those edges. You can also see, that by this point I have cut out the back to my tag and will adhere it using my Helmar's Acid Free white glue.
Next, was a fantastic moment of inspiration...using an old product in a new way. I wanted to silver leaf the top of the jar, and thought I would try my 450 to see how it works. So I spread with my fingertip a thin layer of 450 across the lid and let it set up.
Works like a charm, just wait for the 450 to dry until tacky and then press the silver leaf down. I then used a cue tip along with Ranger's Distress Stain to get into any creases and give it a rustic look.
Then, I took all my lovely pieces and begin assembling them together at last. I love this moment when they all come together. I use baby powder to rub on the backside of anything sticky ( like the ends of the fabric tape banner that is hanging over the edge of the jar and the inside of the bow )
I add little detail touches like the Blue Moon Beads dragon flies and the key...just because it speaks to me to do so. I think sometimes my pieces become inspired themselves along the way and they tell me what needs to be added. How copacetic!
The finished tag..ta da!

So great sketches, awesome product, and trendy challenges inspires me. What inspires you?
And don't forget to turn that clock ahead tonight, we are springing forward!
I am ready for flip flops, sunshine and shorts!

10 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Sandee, I really love how your Mason jar turned out! Your tutorial is fabulous too, very detailed but so easy to read and very inspirational too. Don't forget to change your clock too! Hugs, Anne x

Nana said...

WOW beautiful Mason Jar. Thanks for the FAB tutorial.

Have a great day.
Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥

Kim said...

Sandee! I can't keep up with your amazing work. :) I love this mason jar. You have inspired me to go buy that die! Dang it!:)

Tuire Flemming said...

This is fabulous!

Alexa said...

This is fab Sandee! Love it! xx

Katie said...

Love love love love love love love!

Mason jars are a favorite of mine too :)

Queen Lightwell said...

Oh wow! Love the Mason jar! And the Maya Roads fabric tape...had to google it to see if Artfire has it, cuz' don't ya know, now I have to have some! lol :) And they do, for $2.21 a roll, is that a good price for it? Anyways, been missing you on WOYWW and had to go way back to find you...am I not following you? Well, take care and love the Mothers Day cards you are turning out. :)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Sandee! Thanks for linking this up to the Washi Tape Challenge in the Moxie Fab World. I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Angie said...

Adorable jar tag! And I love your post of inspirations. Very fun!

Lydell Quin said...

Awesome tag Sandee, as always!!! Great tutorial on how you did it too....Thanks for Sharing, and entering the Challenge!