Friday, March 15, 2013

Grotesque: noun

 a style of decorative art characterized by fanciful or fantastic human and animal forms often interwoven with foliage or similar figures that may distort the natural into absurdity, ugliness, or caricature
 
 
And here I thought they were gargoyles!! So, did you know that gargoyles have a purpose? Do you know what it is? Answer at the bottom of the post ;)
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Carey took me to the Biltmore Estate Inn for a 5 star breakfast!
And it was deeeellliishhh!
 We needed a fortifying breakfast cause we were going to the tip top of Biltmore today. See the flag flying up there? That's where we are heading...by stairs...lots of stairs....

 I was standing in the Italian Garden when I took the above picture and here is the view of where I was, from the top of Biltmore.
Here is the view in reverse, once we were up top.
Breath taking, windy and cold....but oh so worth it...every single step!
And who says that George Vanderbilt didn't have a sense of humor? Grotesques with butt cracks...lol
and boobs!
These are things you don't get to see on the ground!
 
 Did you know that a gargoyle is a spout in the form of a grotesque human or animal figure projecting from a roof gutter to throw rainwater clear of a building?
So now you know the difference between a gargoyle and a grotesque!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and #25 of 30 Mother's Day cards in 30 days

LOL, I was soooooooooooo tired last night, I could barely make my card, but so far I have upheld the making of a Mother's Day card every day.This card makes me laugh seeing it the next day, I know I'll have to do something to make it better...any suggestions?

ok...update....I think it's better now :)

Cricut - Everyday Paper Dolls cartridge ( created in Cricut Craft Room )
Hambly - butterfly sticker
K&Co. - flourishes
Prima - rub ons
Heidi Grace - glittered flower
Heidi Swapp - black bling
Faber Castell - PITT pens, silver metallic gelato
Traveling Typewriter - font
pattern paper - from my stash
Helmar - Liquid Scrap dots

9 comments:

Craftychris said...

ooh that breakfast looks yummy and those gargoyles are hilarious! Thank you for sharing your trip. xx

Winnie said...

Well, thank your for the hysterical picture! He sure did have a sense of humor. I remember the gargoyles on Notre Dame and they weren't funny like these Grotesques. Butt cracks...too funny! Sounds like an amazing place! enjoy the weekend.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

oh awesome photos- i would love to go one day!

all the days of our life said...

LOL!!! Those statues are too funny. Beautiful place. This is one of the places in my bucket list I need to visit. Beautiful pic.

Pam said...

Great photos! Sounds like you had a great time!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Krisha said...

WOW what architectural eye candy this place is, butt crack and all LOL. Super view of the grounds below, and breakfast doesn't look bad either.

Claire Grantham said...

Hi Sandee, sounds like a fun day out. Love the photos, the gargoyles cracked me up. Cx

Anita Scroggins said...

Hahaha!! Butt cracks-- those crack me up! My daughter and I want to visit the Biltmore - we just haven't been able to get that way yet. And yes, I think the books were the Sookie Stackhouse ones - the just drug me along for the ride. I don't do vampire books or movies. I never know what is going on!

Jean said...

Loving the gargoyles!