Thursday, March 28, 2013

flehmen: noun

a mammalian behavior (as of horses or cats) in which the animal inhales with the mouth open and upper lip curled to facilitate exposure of the vomeronasal organ to a scent or pheromone
pronunciation
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stamping for Pleasure - Rudolph Day March
Pause Dream Enjoy Challenge #6 Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Challenge - Anything Goes
 
  Cricut has been asking for Christmas stuff and one of their requests was for gift card holders. And I got to thinking, why not make Gift Card holders for sale at the Art MoB
  I used Cricut's Doodlecharms cartridge, p. 87 for the mail box. Stamped a Rudolph stamp by Walmart
( gasp, lol  I admit it, I shop at Walmart ) on the flag and added a brad by Karen Foster
 

 
Next I cut out the envelope which holds the GC, again from Doodlecharms, p. 86 but removed the heart cut on the envelope in the Cricut Craft Room and extended the flap cut by hand so that I could slide the gift card up and under the flap. Stamped the Ho, Ho, Ho by Karen Foster on the flap and added a Martha Stewart poinsettia sticker on the corner to add some balance to the red flag. Outlined everything with a Faber Castell PITT pen.

 
Although the picture doesn't show it very well, it's actually a card, so the whole 'mailbox with GC' is the front of the card, leaving the person that sends it, a traditional inside to write their greetings.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I have been asked how well sales have been going over at the Art MoB, and I have to say that I have been very lucky. The sales are definitely tourist driven so we had a couple of slow months during winter and I am still in the learning phase of what sells and trying to keep an open mind to what I can make that interests people.
 
So here is a recap of just the card sales:
 
September - 19 cards
October - 26 cards
November - 2 cards
December - 24 cards
January - 28 cards
February - 15 cards
 
A total of 114 cards sold in the first 6 months.
 ( female birthday seems to sell the best )
 
I try and keep 20 cards out at all times in each category, restocking once a week.
 
'basic cards' which stay up all the time consists of:
 
Birthday Female
Birthday Male
Thank you
 
then there are the 'fluctuating cards' which consist of:
 
current seasonal
upcoming seasonal
speciality cards
 
So, I have 6 displays with 20 cards in each display, that's 120 cards out for the customer's perusal.
It takes a lot of work to make sure I have a variety of cards but I do think that is important so that the customers have many things to choose from.
 
 I will consider myself successful if I help someone along the way from what I learn. Any questions? Feel free to ask. :) Any suggestions, feel free to offer. ;)
 
 

12 comments:

Sarn said...

Hi Sandee . . . lovely festive gift card holder you've made here. Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.

Congrats on selling so many cards.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Jean said...

Wow - that is a lot of card sales! Way to go Sandee!! Super cute gift card holder!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

this is just way too cute!

Nana said...

What a cute and unique GC holder. Love it.

Have a great day.
Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥

Lisa Carroll said...

This is adorable! Super clever... love the poinsettia! :) Thank you for joining us in "Anything Goes" challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog this week! xxo

Carole Z said...

Hi Sandee, what a super gift card holder...love it! Well done with the card sales Carole Z x

Craftychris said...

this is so cute! I love the reindeer! I am so glad to hear about all your card sales - you are doing so well! xx

Meggymay said...

A wonderful gift holder. Congratulations on the card sales.
Yvonne x

Von said...

This is flippin adorable, Sandee!! Your creativity is endless!

Teresa Jaye said...

WOW! great numbers - I'd call that hugely successful! I love your new gift card card too - very cute!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Creative AND clever. Those are important elements, too. Sounds like you have a successful business if you make more than you spend to rent the space. I'm curious about the plaque/wall hangings you make. That is what I'm interested in making.

Alison Scott said...

Great sales! Wow.
Love the gift card holder.