Tuesday, July 24, 2012

pottery slip: noun

A liquefied suspension of clay particles in water, often used in decoration.  Slip is usually the consistency of heavy cream.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jamie and I went to a paint your own ceramic place called Fired Up! while she was visiting me. We both went out separate ways in the store picking out our pieces to paint and thought it was funny that we both had picked something with a woodland theme to it. Mine is the fairy and Jamie's is the mushroom. It was a lot of fun to do and I am looking forward to a return visit to this place with Jamie!


Entering this in PanPastel's challenge: #28 Magical and Mystical
 
The most difficult thing about painting with slip is that it soaks into the ceramic so quickly that it is hard to see the color being used. I wanted to add more shading to her arms, but was worried about leaving streaks since I couldn't really tell what I was doing! lol I also needed a magnifying glass to really get into the details, like the eyes and fingernails...oh yeah, my fairy has painted toes and nails! lol And you can see that Jamie and I really got into dots, they had these cute little bottles with these small tips to do dots and lines with, I really think I need some of those bottles!


Now I just need to go find her a plant to hide in while she daydreams out on my balcony!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and my next mini album page:
page 6

some cute glittery fish jumping and swimming around
Really Reasonable Ribbon twine

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


10 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Sandee, what a great thing to do with a friend and the results look fabulous - good luck with the challenge. I think, by now, it almost goes without saying - I love your album page!!! The little fish is so sweet.

I should also say that I really enjoy reading your 'nouns' each day and I love how you link them to your blog post too. Crafty hugs, Anne xx

Mary Pat Siehl said...

oh i love that little fish!! another super page

Brenda Brown said...

What a lovely thing to do Sandee, I love trying different things and having fun. The fairy and mushroom look fabulous.
Thanks for sharing with Panpastel UK this week.
hugs {brenda} xox

Cardarian said...

I am a bit late getting back but doctors and physio gets in the way - had a nice snoop around your blog - you make so much lovely things! Thank you for your kind comments on my blog!
LOts of hugs and love flying to you all the way from Slovenia!
Cardarian

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Some craft stores sell those tips. They are metal, right? I used to have one, but it didn't make it home after the flood. I know, because I specifically looked. I really like how you used slip for glaze. Nicely done, too.

SannaS said...

what a lovely set you made in the class!! =)
and i love your mini album...awesome pages...and such cute little details!! =)
hugs, SannaS

May said...

What a great way to spend sometime with your friend.. love the fairy & mushroom... love the colour choices!! your page is fabulous love the fish... Hugs May x x x

Kalea Wavedancer said...

:) Maybe next time we won't be rushed.

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Your fairy is beautiful and how lovely to see something a little bit different, thank you for joining in with the PanPastel challenge blog
Lindsay xx

GinaA said...

What an interesting entry, sounds like a great day out.