Friday, July 27, 2012

Odes: noun

Colloquial term short for odonate, an insect of the order Odonata; commonly used by enthusiasts to refer to a damselfly or a dragonfly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still have not mastered the art of taking a dragonfly/damselfly yet, but they have given me several chances to do so. One of the phenomenons I have noticed with living on the second floor next to a creek bed, are the Odes. I can see them flying around and sometimes they perch on my porch. They are pretty content to have me walk around them trying to take their picture, but always slightly out of my reach, like this guy who is atop my Clematis. But I will keep trying as long as they let me :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Tracy has us creating a canvas with our word of the year that we picked out in January. I think it was funny, that I wasn't the only one who had forgotten their word! I had to go back and search through her blog to find mine, which was FOCUS. lol I know, right? like evidently I haven't been too focused on the word....need to tighten up my ship! lol
 We were suppose to choose our favorite color palette, which always is a problem for me when you take those little quizzes and they want you to choose one color, like is that really possible? Not for me, so I heaped on lots of different colors, and sticker letters, covered it with a thin layer of gesso, stuck it in my spray box and piled on sprays and inks, misted it with water, put a layer of Saran Wrap on it until it dried, and this was the end result.
I also waxed a little philosophical when adding the butterfly and flower, thinking that the butterfly had to focus to find the flower since it was kind of hidden. Sometimes, what we are looking for is right under our noses if just focus...:)

July Creative Dare
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 comments:

Kalea Wavedancer said...

Green.

scrappymo! said...

Nice. Thanks for reminding me...I need to concentrate more on my word too!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...super work Sandee...very up close & personal with the young dragonfly, your skills with the camera are soaring and the word you chose is perfect in being FOCUS...a loVely plaque in-corporating your skills...have a super weekend Sandee...Mel :)

Redanne said...

Sandee, this is brilliant! I actually love the way the butterfly interferes with the letter S at the end - brilliant play on the word focus - and great colours, this is a very inspired piece. Crafty hugs, Anne x

Craftychris said...

Oh your canvas is beautiful! the colour, the texture, the words, the flower and the butterfly - all fab! Have you guessed I love it! xx

BJ said...

We're back on-line methinks. Not holding breath though. Now I thought an Ode was a poem! Studied Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn in school. Never heard of dragonflies being referred to as odes. Obviously not in the right circles - LOL. BJ

Maureen Hayes said...

Oh Sandee, this turned out so beautifully! I like the point you made about things being right under our noses as well. I also agree, it is hard to choose just one or two favorite colors when there are so many pretty ones to pick from!

Really lovely job n this challenge piece.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

your nature photos are stunning!!
super wall hanging - love the colors

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The perfect word for you and your photos, too. I like this piece. It's quite colorful in a subtle way.

Kim said...

Hi Sandee, Love the way this turned out and the colors are gorgeous! Now Focus! :)

TwinkleToes2day said...

This is inspirational to me - the colours, the layout the flower and that stUNning butterfly. I have pinned this and would like to copy the picture to print for my inspiration wall if that is ok with you Sandee? :0)

SandeeNC said...

Meant to say Of course! I am honored! :)

Barb King said...

Nice photo, love the shallow depth of field! Pretty blues on your canvas.

Katie said...

This is awesome! I love the different colors on the canvas!

Sharing My Thoughts said...

Beautifully made and so well said!! Love it!

Scrappinandy

angie/shuggy said...

this is so amazing!