Sunday, July 8, 2012

hemp: noun

a plant fiber made from the cannabis plant
:x
I did not think of the controversy behind hemp :
 
         " In 1937, growing political antidrug sentiment brought the Marijuana Tax Act before Congress where it was determined that no Cannabis plant had permit for cultivation. Many farmers and lobbyists objected to the act exclaiming that it would prevent the cultivation of hemp which at the time was used for many products in the American market. Despite the objections, Congress passed the Marijuana Tax Act and it was signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on August 2, 1937. The industrial hemp industry in America was then crippled for many years. Despite the act, American farmers were allowed to grow hemp for wartime needs in 1942 during the U.S. governments “Hemp for Victory” campaign. After the war hemp mills were shut down. Hemp then returned to oblivion while elsewhere in the world hemp production flourished until the 1970s when a resurgence of antidrug policies outlawed hemp cultivations in the UK, Germany and Central and South America.

In 1993, the United Kingdom lifted its ban on hemp and in 1994 Canada granted the business Hempline a research grant to grow the crop. By 1995, hundreds of entrepreneurs in Canada, the UK, Germany, Austria, Australia and the United states started hemp companies. Then in 1996 the North American Industrial Hemp Council was founded by environmentalists, entrepreneurs, and representatives from industry, government, agriculture and academia. This proved a strong commercial interest in hemp. By 1997, articles about industrial hemp appeared regularly in such publications as the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post and the Kiplinger Letter. Also in 1996 the Adidas shoe company released “The Hemp”, a model whose upper was made of hemp. When asked to discontinue the model Adidas president Steve Wynne replied “I don’t believe you will encounter anyone smoking our shoes any time soon”.
                                                                    wikipedia
             
Makes sense, but wow, I never thought about it before!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a card using some of DCWV glittered embossed paper, which happens to be a favorite of mine from their Glitter Stack. I love the bright colors and all the blingy texture.

 I cut the flowers out from one of the pages and layered them on the base page.

I took a piece of Really Reasonable Ribbons Hemp Cord ( honestly, I think I love this more than Bakers Twine!! ) tied a knot in it and then cut the loop where the knot was tied and made my flower stems. Added a dollop of glue behind the knot to anchor it down and a little bit of glue at the top where it meets the flower. That way the cord appears to hang loose.
Next is one of my most favorite thing, adding a rub on to ribbon. It is so easy to add a sentiment this way! Nothing different than when you do it to paper, except you're doing it to ribbon!
Next, still trying to work on my doodle-tangling...tangle-doodle? I thought this card would be perfect for it and since I used DCWV Shimmer Stack for the card base I grabbed my Sakura pens and went to town.  :/ Not sure how I liked the end result, but it's OK...I guess. lol I do love the way the Sakura pens glide on shimmer paper, so very smooth!! If nothing else, it was fun for me! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project Pinterest for the month of July starts tomorrow!! Yay!!

8 comments:

Rita said...

I was aware of the controversy over hemp growing. But I hadn't heard the Adidas president's reply. So funny!

I love your card and the rainbow of colors. Very cute!! :)

scrappymo! said...

So very nice! The twine stems are great.

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...loVely card Sandee...bright, fresh & fun...Mel :)

SarahinSC said...

Gorgeous card Sandee!

May said...

Gorgeous summery card Sandee.. My Adidas trainers are taking on a new meaning.. with a spring in my step (lol).... Hugs May x x x

Redanne said...

Didn't know that about hemp - wow! Love the Adidas quote. Your card is gorgeous, lovely and summery and that hemp looks great. Thanks for the tip on rub-ons, I never knew you could do that and I have a mountain of unused rub-ons........Anne x

Kim said...

Love your posts Sandee. Informative and Inspirational. :) The card is beautiful. Hugs

Terrie said...

very creative - fun card!