Tuesday, July 10, 2012

ephemera: noun

paper items (as posters, broadsides, and tickets) that were originally meant to be discarded after use but have since become collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have come over here from Really Reasonable Ribbon's blog to see a little more of my ephemera frame box, then welcome! I am so glad you stopped by! And if you are one of my regular visitors, then please visit the RRR blog where you can see the finished product, and while you're there, please leave a comment so I know you stopped by :)

Now for my confession time!
 I did cheat on the drawer. I wanted it to be super sturdy so I used some packaging that had this little half box. I painted it black so no packaging information would show. It is perfect for a drawer and then all I had to do was build the box around it. I also wanted the drawer to be strong enough so that when I added the natural woven ribbon pull it would work for a long time to come! I cut a slit into the bottom of the box, threaded the ribbon through it and then secured it with a knot.
 I also want to thank one of my friends, Anne from Redanne for sending me an easel box template to use. I adapted it to the size of my drawer and love the results! Thank you Anne!

Yes, I keep a branch in my craft room!
 Seriously, I do! And I use it often with my projects, I love bringing the rustic nature indoors with me. Anyone that visits my blog often will be looking at pictures of the Biltmore Estate, hiking, and birding. It is a part of me that I like to share.  So I glued this branch onto the base of the frame while adding some flowers and a little Biltmore ephemera ( aka as a ticket ).

Whenever I make a frame, I use pop dot strips and since they show a little bit, I color the sides of the strip so they at least don't stand out. This time I used my Copics marker to help camouflage it. I also leave the top of the frame open so I can easily slide pictures in and out!

Wanting to keep the rustic feel, I lined the drawer with some natural weave paper. This is where I will keep my favorite photos of Biltmore, and that way I can change them out according to the season or just whenever I get a new favorite. :)

As you can see, I already have a new favorite since my last walk through Biltmore on Summer Soltise day. I got some terrific shots of the water lilies there in the Italian Garden. The hardest part was choosing which one to put in the frame, and the lake shot with the row boat goes into the drawer to be enjoyed another time.
And mark your calendar for the Really Reasonable Blog hop this Friday, which is the 13th! Yikes! right? NOT, lol It might end up being your lucky day to win some fabulous prizes and see some exciting projects created by the RRR DT!! ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so very much for visiting with me today.
 If you're a Pinterest fan, then please link up with us at  Project Pinterest, so that we can see what inspired you to get creative!

11 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

..Sandee this is an awesome piece of crafting, loVe the secret draw, how cool is that! & all your embellishaments are so loVely...a masterpiece...Mel :)

Mary Pat Siehl said...

this is fantastic!! everything is so wonderful

Bonnie Garby said...

Great project Sandee and I don't consider the drawer cheating - it's 'upcycling'!! :)
Your photography is gorgeous too.

Redanne said...

Hi Sandee, you have done a brilliant job of adapting that easel card and box! I am really impressed with your 'adapt and overcome' technique. The drawer and frame look beautiful with all your lovely embellishments. Thanks for the mention, over to see it on the other site now.....Crafty hugs, Anne x

BJ said...

What a brilliant photo frame box. Love it. BJ

Rita said...

Wow! That is really unique to have a photo frame and a drawer all in one. Love it! :)

Auntie Em said...

Came along via the RRR and SPal hop. So glad I did. I love this sweet little easel box for displaying your favourite photos. Beautiful papers and trims.
Thank you for sharing! :)

Ravengirl said...

Now, I'm not sure if that is really cheating or if it is good, smart play!

Kim said...

Wow Sandee.... You are the energizer bunny this month! Love it. Headed over to the blog to leave some love. :)

Kalea Wavedancer said...

Super fun! Hope the picture of us is in there!

Mrs A. said...

Been over to look at the finished item. Fabulous make. Hugs Mrs A.