Friday, July 29, 2016

Gel Press® and Envirotex blog hop!

Welcome to the ETI/Gel Press Blog Hop. The designers for both companies have been creating wonderful projects. Please leave a comment on EACH blog. Tell us on the Gel Press blog and on the Resin Crafts blog as to which projects you found most interesting or inspiring. One winner will be picked, at random, Sunday, July 31, 2016, at 10pm CST. The winner will get both Petite sets of Gel Press plates and ETI Jewelry Resin! Hop now through Sunday! Winner must be 18 or over and live in the USA.
 Good Luck!

You could win THIS!!

This is my project

The first thing I did was make some mono-prints using my 12x12" Gel Press® plate with some acrylic paints and stencils.

After I had a variety of prints to choose from I cut them up into ½" by 8" strips and then cut each strip on the diagonal. I followed the directions for making paper beads here. And let me point out, I am not very good at rolling beads, a lot of them turned out wonky, but I still enjoyed doing it.
Next, I rolled each strip of paper up around a toothpick and after they were all dried I stamped on some and inked all the edges. The next part was the tricky part, coating each one with the Eti Envirotex. I had a lot of drips and runs so it was necessary to go back every 30 minutes for touch ups and clean ups but well worth the effort since one thick coat equals 50 coats of varnish and I love how shiny they are and how it brings out the Gel Press® printed papers!

Once the Eti Envirotex resin had cured I removed them from their toothpicks, trimmed off any rough edges and strung them on some elastic cording. I really like how the Gel Press® papers look , now I need to make more jewelry.

OK, since I had some papers left over I decided to make a ring too :) I used the same principles as making the beads, but this time; I sanded the edges to bring out the layers of paper and I collaged the word artist on the top layer. 

***** UPDATE *****
I'm getting some inquiries as to how to make the ring so I am adding this:
I first wrapped a strip of paper around my finger for the size I needed the ring to be. Then I slipped that first layer over a tube and kept adding more strips, about 7 I believe. The width of the ring was determined by the word ARTIST which I found in a magazine. Then I coated it with the resin, waited for it to cure and then sanded the edges. Then applied another coat of resin to finish it off.


Hope that helps :)
I think it looks pretty cool, what do you think?
I can imagine other words on the ring too; 
empowering words like faith, achieve, love, grow, etc.
Can you think of some words to inspire you?


Sandee ( you are here )

Remember to tell us on the Gel Press blog and on the Resin Crafts blog as to which projects you found most interesting or inspiring in order for you to be in the prize drawing! Good - luck!!

15 comments:

Ann Butler said...

These are so much FUN Sandee, thanks for being part of the hop!

Unknown said...

Love this project! Did you size the ring by using your finger? The beads are adorable! Must try.

Cindi McGee said...

Beautiful bracelet - love how you made the wrapped beads with the prints - great job!

Jean said...

Love how these came out!

Karen said...

Wow so cool, love how your project turned out. So pretty!

Unknown said...

Your artful creations are beautiful! What did you use to shape the ring? I'd love more directions for this piece as I'd love to make one to wear!
Thanks for you reply to this.

Dotylynn said...

This is wonderful. Most interested in the ring. Not sure I wyluite understand how you did it. Love to know more.

SandeeNC said...

Dotylynn - I first wrapped a piece of paper around my finger for the size I needed, Then I slipped the first layer over a tube and kept adding more strips, about 7 I believe. The width of the ring was determined by the word ARTIST which I found in a magazine. Then coated it with the resin, waited for it to cure and then sanded the edges. Then applied another coat of resin to finish it off.

Byrd Street Studio said...

Oh wow.... love the beads, but really love that ring. They truly look like glass!!!

Annmakes said...

These are awesome, I especially love the ring.

Donna said...

I can't wait to try this! Love them beads!!!!

Muffins and Lace said...

Great project!

Unknown said...

Sandee - I love, love, love these!!

Yoga with Gaileee said...

This is so cool! I love the rolled up papers into beads project! Gaileee

mikosspot.blogspot.com said...

again, another more then fabulous project!! love the colorful prints and the eti is indeed a winner