Tuesday, July 26, 2016

An afternoon of art without any focus

Planning (also called forethought) is the process of thinking about and organizing the activities required to achieve a desired goal.

This past week-end I opened up my journal to just play with no thought or planning, which is a heck of a lot scarier and stressful for me. I'm a planner, a take charge of an idea and run with it kind of person, so having an afternoon without any focus...well...it was diverting to say the least. It took many trips back and forth into the studio to finish it up too...but in the end, I really like it.
Gel Press® Petites set A ( round )
misc. dot stencil
Deco Art acrylic paints, 
decou-page paper and 
Peaceful words stencil
Old Film stencil
So what are you? A planner or a "go by the seat of your pants" artist? Do you prefer challenges and setting goals or to just take it one day at a time?

"A designer is someone who constructs while he thinks,
 someone for whom planning and making go together."
John Maeda

9 comments:

Jean said...

A gorgeous piece! I do too much planning.

Anonymous said...

I'm both. I've always loved doodling just to see the ink flow, the graphite show, the paint glow. I didn't plan to rhyme that, for instance. But working on a painting of something specific, i try to plan some of it out first. Then play later.

Marlene said...

Love it Sandee. I am a definite planner although I must admit, what I plan and what I end up with are usually not the same, lol

Unknown said...

I love the "process"...generally my "plan" for anything does not match the final product. That is where the art really speaks. <3

Amy said...

Lovely! Did you freehand the sunflower?

SandeeNC said...

Amy, the petals I did freehand and the center I created using stencils and my round gel press plate.

Ineke said...

Ohhh, J"adore les Tournesol (I love sunflowers) 😉

Pam said...

Your sunflower is beautiful, I just love this!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

mikosspot.blogspot.com said...

Love your sunflower.. I am a sunflower yanno..