Saturday, August 30, 2014

embracing my inner Frida

Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?
I started out with the thought of just doing her face and the iconic eyebrows, but afters hours of pouring over her pictures, again, and just immersing myself into her art and lifestyle, I just let go. I embraced my inner Frida.


I was influenced by this painting of hers: The Wounded Deer
But instead of grounding her image in the pain and suffering that she experienced over her lifetime, I morphed her spirit into a free flying bird. Free of the pain, free to go and do what she wanted without any constraints.

The Wounded Deer - Frida Kahlo

"Later in her life, Kahlo was interested in ancient Eastern religions and mysticism, and The Little Deer is an assimilation of her Mexican and European heritage with these ancient beliefs. The image is of Kahlo’s head placed on top of a stag, which is pierced with arrows. The arrows no doubt refer to her own pain and suffering due to her injuries, as well as her injurious marriage to Diego Rivera. At the bottom of the painting, Kahlo has written “carma,” alluding to these ancient mystic beliefs. She also combines the eastern belief system with Aztec. An ancient Aztec symbol, the deer symbolized the right foot, and in this she was alluding to her injured right side, the foot of which had been crushed in a bus accident, and right leg being fractured in eleven different places. One year before her death, her right leg was amputated up to her right knee, due to complications from gangrene."
WikiArt.org 

entering this in 
Art Journal Journey - Frida

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Sandee, love what you have made, and great to see you joining our challenge at Art Journal Journey - you have made me happy! Have a great weekend, nice to see you again! Hugs, Valerie

Unknown said...

Sandee, I had no idea about her bus accident. This was a very interesting post and I love your image!

Jean said...

I need to do more research on her!

Anna said...

Sandee, this is fabulous!! Love how you gave her wings to lift her above her suffering!!

Unknown said...

So happy to see Frida flying free!! Great page!

froebelsternchen said...

Oh Gosh! This is just AMAZING! Thank you so very much for joining AJJ with this fabulous interpreatation of FRIDA!
♥♥♥
Susi

Meggymay said...

Fabulous page, love how you interpreted the painting.
Yvonne x

Carole Z said...

HI Sandee, you have tapped into my art obsession, Frida is absolutely my favourite artist and for when I finally get the chance to take some time for my first journal page in years, I had already gathered photos of Frida and her art to base my page around...so thanks for this amazing page today and your inspiration, hugs Carole Z X

Pam said...

I love that Frida is flying free!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

I have never heard of her so thanks for the links will have a a look.. Your flying Freda looks very fun and I am sure she would of loved that..
Sandy :)

Anonymous said...

I think I have to go follow the link to explore her art. You've peaked my interest and I love your creation!
Hugs,
Yvonne