Thursday, April 3, 2014

Autism awareness


The Autism Awareness Ribbon — The puzzle pattern reflects the mystery and complexity of the autism spectrum. The different colors and shapes represent the diversity of the people and families living with the condition. The brightness of the ribbon signals hope — hope that through increased awareness of autism, and through early intervention and appropriate treatments, people with autism will lead fuller, more complete lives.


Both of my background papers came from gelli prints using the new line of Deco Arts Media Fluid acrylics
DecoArtĀ® Mixed Media Program
They are a lot of fun to use in your gelli printing and this sign shows why. After putting my colors down on my plate, I lightly brayered them in one direction only. 

The first several pulls will give you a very bright and vivid background, After it dried I used a white pen to trace around some puzzle pieces to create the background.
 ( On a nationwide level, the Puzzle Piece symbol reflects the mystery and complexity of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Also, since every puzzle piece is different in some way, a puzzle piece accurately represents the diversity of the individuals affected. )

But it's the last pull that gets me, you know when you have dried bits of paint left over? Just squirt a healthy layer of water onto your gelli plate and press your paper down to get a dreamy soft swirl of color. Your paper will most likely curl after soaking in all that water, but just let it dry and then press it under some heavy books and it will flatten back out again.

Lettering completed with a Sakura Gelly Roll pen, wood butterfly from the Frosted Designs Moments in Time Kit.
A Moment in Time

9 comments:

Pam said...

Beautiful Sandee! I have a grandson with Autisum.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

marionarmitage said...

Once again a beautiful art piece and yet more importantly a powerful message... Thank you for sharing your technique... Did I say I love this background and your message..:)

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Wonderful piece, and I especially love your comment about autism, which is a perfect complement.

SCarol said...

That's so beautiful. I love the quote and the backround is so lovely.

Meggymay said...

Fabulous colorful backgrounds. Love the quote, it will mean so much to many folk.
Yvonne x

Jean said...

Love this!!

Carole Z said...

Hi Sandee, a beautiful creation and very inspiring post and quote..very powerful indeed, hugs Carole Z X

Anita Scroggins said...

Sandee I love this!! I have got to pick up a few more Deco Art products!! I have a few, but I sure could use more :)

...the yorkshire fox... said...

Beautiful work Sandee...:)xx