Sunday, June 24, 2012

poison ivy: noun

a climbing vine of the cashew family that has three-part leaves and white berries. Contact with the plant produces an itchy rash
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after I left the Italian Garden and started my trek back through the shrub garden I knew I was wanting a new adventure, and I found one called the Spring Path. It's a mulched pathway and I figured, what the heck, let's give it a whirl.
One of the first thing that excited me was to discover a hidden view to the walled gardens ( remember the rose gardens? ) I have never taken this picture before and felt like I had stumbled on a secret path....maybe I am the only one who has discovered it, lol, no...but I ran across only one group while walking it!

You do have to walk a little bit on a paved path and pass under this brick walk way to continue along the Spring Path but it was after passing through is where I met up with the other couple and I had to make sure they knew to take the path detour so they could get that great shot of the walled garden. Good deed done, I knew I was off to a grand adventure!...or at least not get lost...that would work too!
along this path were some awesome smelling flowers, this smelled familiar to a magnolia....divine!
and around a corner, some unexpected Snowball bushes!
spending a few minutes capturing this honey bee on a rhododendron bush,
and this one of him flying! Looks like he coming to get me...but I don't think he even knew I was there!
Then out of the Spring Path and into the Azalea Garden, while there are no azaleas in bloom, there are a lot of little bridges...
 cute little stone bridges...
and then a stone bench tucked under this large leaf Magnolia for me to sit and reflect upon how lucky I am to be able to walk it's rocky path, sweat in the sun, have sore feet, and itchy poison ivy.....

because there are many people out there in this big world who trade everything to have it.
I am so blessed.
:)

8 comments:

scrappymo! said...

OMG Is this Biltmore...One of my favourite places!
Off to check out your previous posts cuz I am sure this is Biltmore.

Fabulous gardens!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...ahhh Sandee more gorgeous pic's to cheer us up today...all so so beautiful, what a great place to visit...loVe your shot of the Bee in action so close! and the cute wooden bridge is like the one from the Pooh Bear stories where they played 'Pooh Sticks' well done super photo's...Mel :)

Redanne said...

More wonderful photos from you Sandee, it looks like an amazing place, except for the poison ivy!!

Melissa Hopper said...

So happy to know I am not the only one to call them snow ball bushes. If I am not mistaken (probably am) I believe they are hydrangea??

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really liked the paths you took, even though you got exposed to poison ivy. I bought a Magnolia bush when I lived in MO, but it didn't survive even one full season. There is a real temperate divide when it comes to those plants. Glad you had a great day out and about. Did you consider that a Stay-cation?

Rita said...

A lovely, lovely place to wander. I've never had poison ivy. I've been very lucky. But your adventurous walk looks like it would make it worth the itching. ;)

May said...

Fabulous pics Sandee, so peaceful and a wonderful pic of the Bee in action.. quite AmAzing!! beautiful post.. Hugs May x x x

Tracey FK said...

the pics in the last few posts have just been stunning... some of those flower shots are really exceptional... When we lived in Florida I once flew up to Greenboro for a day to go furniture shopping and that was my only experience of your lovely state... wish I had time to explore though... especially if I had known somewhere like this was around... this looks like a wonderful place...xx