Sunday, June 3, 2012

plain: adjective




  1. clearly visible and not blocked or obscured
  2. clear to the mind or senses
  3.  used to emphasize a noun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Here are my pictures for the scavenger hunt, for Ashley's blog: Ramblings and Photos.
The first group of photos were taken at the Balloon Festival that we attended down in Simpsonville, South Carolina

The Balloonist’s Prayer
The winds have welcomed you with softness.
The sun has blessed you with his warm hands.
You have flown so high and so well,
That God has joined you in your laughter,
And He has set you gently back again,
Into the loving arms of Mother Earth.

Shine
I love the way the sun is reflecting light off this big cloud and although this cloud is pretty, it's also what kept the balloons from lifting off :(

Fast
You had to act fast and think fast to deal with the breeze whipping these big balloons around!

Left
When the balloons didn't launch, all there was left to do was listen to music and eat dinner!

 The next set of photographs were taken at my friend, Shirley house. She has such a beautiful flower garden!

peace
Nothing gives me more peace than God, and I love her little church fixture tucked away in this corner.

plain

To me, the word "plain" represented something unattractive, not pretty or in terms of geography, large expanses of level, almost treeless country.

I had something else intended for "plain", but honestly, after looking up the definition I came to appreciate this word more.
because we also have for the definition:
clearly visible and not blocked or obscured
"These flowers are in plain sight of the house."

clear to the mind or senses
as in " They are just plain beautiful."

used to emphasize a noun
"These are just plain flowers"

So there, I can now plainly appreciate this word more!

14 comments:

Rita said...

Just a plain good blog post--LOL!
Hot air ballooning looks so fascinating, but I'm scared of heights. The flowers look wonderful. :)

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...super pic'c Sandee...clouds are amazing their whole formation provides endless facination...shame they ruined 'lift off'...your friend has a pretty garden too & loVe that church birdie house, adorable...Mel :)

Redanne said...

I just love your photos Sandee, especially that cloud, it is so beautiful. I do watch clouds, which is not difficult here in England - lol. DH and I went up in a hot air balloon a few years ago and it is a magical experience. Thanks for bringing back a lot of lovely memories..... A x

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely photos ~ colorful, great composition and design ~ great post on the word 'plain' ~ thanks for coming by ~ namaste, ^_^ Carol and ArtMuseDog ^_^

Serendipityissweet said...

Lovely photos. Great set!!

Alex @ Good Girl Gone Wife said...

I love that you used flowers for plain! It's not a connection you'd usually make.

Great shots!

Ashley Sisk said...

I hate that the balloons didn't launch - but glad you guys still had a great time.

Deborah Tisch said...

It's been years since I went to a hot air balloon festival. They are so fun! But it is disappointing when those balloons can't launch.

I love that poem at the beginning.

Simon said...

I really like that first shot, despite it being cause for ruining the balloon ride. I love words like plain, that can be interpreted in a variety of ways

Debbie said...

haha...we have a wonderful balloon festival in these parts, we go every year!!

we have had some late starts but never a complete "no go"!!

we also went for a ride in one, over lancaster, pa. best trip i have ever taken!!

beautiful set!!

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Love your peace photo.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How did I miss this post? Yep, I guess because I was busy trying to make backgrounds in my art room today.

As a wordsmith, you seem to appreciate and embrace this challenge. I especially liked "left," which I felt was quite distinct. Of course, I was plainly impressed with plain, too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful interpretations! :)

Shawon said...

LOVE the Shine photo, but sorry that it impacted the balloons. Haven't been to a balloon festival in years!