Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Be transparent


RULES:You may enter up to three times (three art journal pages or spreads)They can be one or two page spreadsFor every entry, you must upload the following;1. Photo or link to photo of what inspired you2. Art journal page inspired by #1Title each upload in the following way; Name 1, Name 2For example Sue Wojtkowski 1 (what inspired me) Sue Wojtkowski 2 (Art journal page)Entries will be accepted from August 26, 2015 to September 9, 2015.Voting for round 1 will take place from September 10- September 16Voting for round 2 will take place from September 17- September 23Winners will be announced by September 25.Voting should be based on how closely the art journal page was inspired by the object or photo, and execution of the art journal page itself. The top 3 vote receivers will receive a package of art supplies
Glasswinged Butterfly

A migratory butterfly, Greta oto is found in virtually all habitats in Costa Rica, including disturbed ones. It is often spotted passing through open areas, and sometimes visits gardens in the Meseta Central region.

 I wish I had them over here! I think they are so cool looking. I would love to have them here in the States, maybe my friend Jamie can illegally sneak some back after her trip over there? lol

 Anyway, they inspired me to create a pop up element in my journal because I really wanted to capture motion in that element. Grafix sent me a variety of their Dura-Lar Films to try out so I got the .004" Medium Weight sheet to play with. It's a polyester film, archival and acid free and non-tearing ( great, since the butterfly will get some abuse being in the inner enclosure ), coated to accept water based mediums and inks. INKS? oh yeah, I have new inks from Higgens ( check out their gallery, you can find some of my work featured there ) so I tried them on the Dura-Lar film, and boy was I impressed. The inks glided onto the film, no running or bleeding ( unless I intentionally mixed them together which I did :) ) Very pleased with both products! AND of course used my DecoArt paints for the background and Helmar 450 Adhesive to securely hold the butterfly into the crease of the book. 


When you close the book up she folds her wings together very nicely.

But when you open it to her page her wings pop out and spread open. I simply love how she turned out. The Dura-Lar film is very flexible.

8 comments:

Jean said...

Isn't this so cool!!

kmd said...

Love!!

Pam said...

WOW!!! Love your beautiful pages! Awesome how you did the butterfly. Love it.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Kalea Wavedancer said...

I'll try to find one to take a picture for you.

Sandy said...

This is so clever.

mikosspot.blogspot.com said...

Oh boy thank you for the inspiration!!!

Anna said...

This is beautiful Sandee!!! Love it!

Granny Korner Craftingwithartgrandma said...

very neat concept love it.