Saturday, June 20, 2015

Ebony Jewelwing

Sometimes I wonder if I am just seeing more of what around me (nature wise) because I am out in my garden and along the creek bed a lot lately. I don't remember seeing dragonflies damselflies before but I've been seeing them often in the last couple of weeks. I finally got a picture of one and came back inside to research and find out what it is. It's called an Ebony Jewelwing. I love the first sentence..."You first catch a glimpse of black wings that flit and flutter in the vegetation on the banks of a tranquil woodland stream."....Yep, my stream is very tranquil indeed!
 a common damselfly of eastern North America

"Damselflies, along with dragonflies, belong to the insect order Odonata. Damselflies are in the suborder Zygoptera and have two pairs of similar-shaped wings. When perched, they hold their wings, either closed or slightly spread, above their abdomens.  Dragonflies are in the suborder Anisoptera—their forewings and hindwings are of different shapes and, when perched, they hold their wings out flat or somewhat downward. Dragonflies are generally larger and are strong, fast fliers. Damselflies are dainty looking and are weak fliers."


3 comments:

Pam said...

Lovely little Damselfly. I love the beautiful color.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

mikosspot.blogspot.com said...

whew big bug I can swat? :) Not sure I have ever seen any of these...

Anna said...

What a pretty damselfly!! I love damselflies and dragonflies. I get all kinds here when the weather has been right.