Saturday, October 25, 2014

A moment of a life time - Bear Footin' Bears

I have truly enjoyed every moment of Elderbeary.

It all began with drafting the design in the offices with the most awesome people in the world - Meals on Wheels! I enjoyed the process of finding out what they envisioned for their bear and coming up with a design that they liked.

The the work began.
It was back straining work drawing the design onto the bear. I shared a lot of big sighs over the process with Elizabeth who worked in the studio next to me in Art MoB. We had lots of giggles over the amount of sighing that was going on between the 2 of us!!
Elizabeth in the studio beside me sketching out her awesome design!
Drawing on curves is not as easy as you might think.
To having tons of visitors who not only watched my progress but contributed stories of their own like this young visitor who had a long story about why the baby bear should have a name too. The baby bear was dubbed Daisy from here on out.
To the very awesome paints that DecoArts Inc. donated to me! They went onto the fiberglass as smooth as silk!
Painting on curves was another challenge. I wish you could have heard the conversations about this part of the process going on between the 2 studios! We sure did complain a lot!

To the finished bear.
Knowing I would be giving her up soon was a bittersweet moment for me!


To the awesome gentleman at Hills Body Shop who let me come in and fret and fuss over my bear. He treated me with such kindness, letting me inspect Elderbeary before under going his poly-coat. They did a superb job!

To the big reveal and to all the people who liked my bear almost as much as I did! If you can't tell by now, I loved my Elderbeary!
I love my picture that my sponsors made for me and have it proudly displayed in my hallway for everyone to see!

To the best sponsors ever
I was very blessed to have this group to work with.
They were supportive, kind and generous and made it all a lot of fun!! 

To seeing her displayed on the streets of our downtown. After many years of seeing all the bears, it made my heart swell to know that Elderbeary would have her picture taken with the thousands of tourists that annually trek to Hendersonville, NC for the Bearfootin' Bears event!

And to my little friend who I happen to catch hugging the bear during the Chalk It Up! on main street ( which is run by the awesome Barbara Ferngren Hughes from Narnia Studios ). It was awesome to have a picture of her twice! Once in the beginning stages and once when Elderbeary and Daisy were finished!!

Down to the crowning moment when my bear auctioned off for $4,000.00!!
I was amazed, surprised and grateful that I was able to raise that kind of money! Here is a slide show of the auction:



And this is the article that the Blue Ridge Times of Hendersonville wrote about the event. I am amazed what they wrote about me. Excuse me if I sound proud, but this is the second time in a year that my bear has been written about and my heart beats with excitement that something I made touches everyone this way.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

You are not pathetic at all. You are awesome and should be beyond proud of yourself. I am tickled pink for you!

Leslie said...

You did good Sandee :)

Jean said...

So cool!

Tommy Jo said...

What a wonderful artistic venture for a great cause. This video was heartwarming and I was trully feeling both the loss and the gain right along side you. The Council on Aging and DecoArts should also be commended for supporting you as an artist in this venture. Awesome job, Sandee :)

Sandy said...

Awww she is gone but raised so much money for such a wonderful cause.. You did an awesome job on her no wonder she went for so much... Bet they want you back next year to do it all over again..
Loved the flip of all the photos..

mikosspot.blogspot.com said...

So So Happy for YOU Mama Bear! and Your babies won't be far away after all!! I am even more excited for the money raised and the opportunities that will present themselves to you! I think you should have submitted the bear to Stampington.. like Where Women Create or something! AGain so happy and proud of you! :)

Anonymous said...

She was such a creation from your heart and it showed through every moment of this adventure my friend. I'm so proud of everything you accomplished with this sweet girl!! High five!!!
Hugs,
Yvonne

Carole Z said...

Well done Sandee, she was a really beautiful creation and I am sure she has gone to a good home, what an achievement, I'm so very happy for you! Hugs Carole Z X

Krisha said...

What a wonderful adventure for you. This is something that will live forever and for a magnificent cause!

Pam said...

I have loved watching the process and completion of Elderbeary and Daisy! It is so awesome (and not surprising) that your gorgeous creation sold for 4,000.00! What a wonderful experience for you. I am so happy for you and proud to call you my friend! You have such a wonderful gift that has helped raise money for a wonderful cause. I have to say I just love Elderbeary and Daisy (I miss them too). Enjoyed your video. Looking forward to your next bear creation!
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Rachelle Olaridge said...

What a gorgeous creation and beautiful opportunity Sandee. I would love the bear in my living room. Well done!!!!!

Winnie said...

Just beautiful Sandee! Sounds like a special project and memory for you! I recall visiting ME and seeing a project with bears called Bears on Parade. I have pics me with and my late hubby with the bears. In NYC we had cows on parade (we were in front of the World Trade Ctr cows 2 weeks before the buildings came down. Those pics with my hubby and my friend are priceless. I hope your bears become many happy memories for many!

Vicki said...

Wow just wow. I seriously don't think I can find words to express how happy I am for you, I get goosebumps. Loved the slide show, You look so beautiful and happy. Your bear is beyond awesome. I am just Happy

Unknown said...

Sandee this give me goosebumps!!!!! You did an amazing job! I love how your bears turned out!! Way to go!

Kalea Wavedancer said...

So dang proud of you! ¡Love you, mi amiga!

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh my gosh you should be proud Sandee! Your bears are beautiful. And i can tell theres alot of love in there. Congratulations! Hugs! deb

Anonymous said...

Amazing artist and quite the bear! Feel proud as I'm sure you do. Make another just for you. :)
<3 Betty