Thursday, May 17, 2018

Etegami...kinda sorta...


Hahnemühle sent me a wonderful set of 30 Cold Pressed watercolor postcards that came in this beautiful limited edition tin, perfect for both wet and dry techniques. I love sending out postcards much like snail mail art where the outside can be enjoyed by every person who touches the card. 

I thought delving into some Etegami would be perfect. 


Now I am not going to even pretend that they are true Etegami but more like a nod to Etegami, lol
 (Etegami principles that I kinda used are all noted in red.)

A simple, hand-painted image — outlines in black ink and filled in with watercolor.

Now, anyone who knows me, knows I love to outline so this part was easy enough. I did use my bamboo pen and tried to not be precise and to not worry about any bleeding since the

 Motto of etegami – heta de ii, heta ga ii translated means
 "Clumsiness is no problem. 
Clumsy makes it better.” 

Something that sounds simple but is one of the hardest things for me to achieve. I would have started over after the india ink bled under the stencil but then I wouldn't have used my supplies in the way that I did and for this I just smiled. 

Generally, use no more than three colors.


Etegami always includes words and I love to add words to my art although I do try and write them as best I can, Etegami forgives less than perfect lettering.

 “Etegami (e=”picture” tegami=”letter”) 
are simple drawings accompanied by a few apt words, done on a soft absorbent postcards. They are meant to be mailed off to one’s friends, not hoarded. They often depict some ordinary item from everyday life.



In Japan, people do not sign; They use stamps. 
They are called Han or Hanko, and every individual in Japan has one.

Now I don't have a Hanko but I grabbed the closest thing I could think of, a mini hand carved wood block stamp that you can find in Gwen Lafleurs online store. I didn't even have red ink so I choose a hot pink which I got from Rubbermoon which came in one of the Moon Mail club items.

Linking up to Paint Party Friday

You can purchase the Hahnemüle Limited Edition tin of watercolor postcards from:
Jerry’s Artarama ( looks like a better deal )

The postcards are excellent quality and they came with the address field on the other side so they make for a very professional presentation. I've been in love with the Hahnemüle watercolor paper for awhile now and their watercolor postcards are equal in quality. 

The artist on the cover of the tin is Alexa Dila, urban sketcher from Berlin, Germany

And if anyone wants to see pictures of Blossom,
 my fiberglass bear I painted for charity please visit here 😊

14 comments:

Jean said...

I love seeing your postcards! I am sure they bring a smile to everyone who touches them!

Amy Martin said...

Yes!!!. Im here. I will email you right now. So sorry I havent checked yet.. Other half has been in the burn unit. Thank you so much!!!!❤

JFM said...

Love your postcards and handmade art and writing makes them perfect and more personal.
Happy PPF 🎨

carol l mckenna said...

Love your lovely etegami ~ lovely!

Happy Day to you,
C & Z

Christine said...

Congrats to the lucky winners your etegami is perfect snd what a fantastic gift!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful etegami, happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Robin said...

Thank you for sharing etegami. I love this. I think the ink lines that are not perfect are the best. Happy PPF!

Katie said...

Stunning project and thank you for choosing me

Sue (this n that) said...

Fabulous to learn about this style from you Sandee and yours is gorgeous :D) Happy PPF

Katie Jeanne said...

Really cute postcard, Sandee!

Lynda Shoup said...

I love etegami. I love your explanations and your piece. Really lovely. And oddly enough, I am reading this drinking a cup of tea.

marijke everythings arty said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog and yes you are right, it feels good to break rules in art otherwise I never discover new possibilities. I love the watercolour post cards and what a beautiful box they come in. And your blog is very original and also your work. Happy greetings from New Zealand.

NatureFootstep said...

great cards :)

denthe said...

I never heard of etegami. Thanks for explaining. I love it :-) And your fiberglass bear .... OMG, it is absolutely gorgeous! I love all the small details, the bright colours, the symbolism. Great work!