Friday, August 3, 2012

self portrait: noun

A pictorial or literary portrait of oneself, created by oneself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I'm not sure where to start with this post. Guess I'll begin Monday night watching Tracy Weinzapfel's online painting party where she issued her August Dare canvas.

 "To use a picture of yourself."

What? ..::blink, eye roll, moan and groan::....I did them all.

 I even said to myself that I doubt I'd do one that would actually ever get used. Maybe do one to be a good sport, and then toss it in the trash afterwards. I really thought that would happen as my first attempt was so bad that it's actually the first layer underneath the finished canvas. This morning, I woke up and said, well, if it's going to be trashed then have fun and don't worry about what it looks like! Try it again! So I took some book pages and adhered them with my medium. Scanned and printed out a church directory picture, then sat at my desk and begin stamping, painting, spraying, daubing, spritzing, dropping, smooshing, you name it...I was doing it. I literally painted over the picture itself, and I am loving the effect.
And, ok, so my skin isn't really this smooth, but hey it's a journey into what I think represents me, so I guess this is how I think wish I look...to me. lol I also pulled out tons of stickers from my stash; like waterfalls to represent the mountains and hiking which I like to do, butterflies...just  becuase I love them, a fish because I am a Pisces.
Flowers which I love growing, a camera to represent my photography, snowflakes to show my love of the snow, and the sea shell since I was born in Florida. The flower over my eye hopefully shows my sense of humor in that I never want to take myself too seriously.
And LOOK, I love it so much that it has a spot on my bedroom wall. Right above one of my favorite wall hangings I made. The 2 kind of go together I think. :) I haven't done a self portrait in ages, and it's not something I would have set out to do on my own, but I am so happy that I have done it.

The words that I wrote on my shirt are 3 different quotes/sayings I found on Pinterest:
I am on a journey, with my work, my expolrations and a few sad stories. I travel with a suitcase full of outrageous blessings, I am on a quest for truth, beauty and quiet joy. I am a writer, an Artist, an Explorer. I am on a journey.
and
Life is a great big canvas, throw all the paint on it that you can. danny kaye
also
Make Time for your art.

So, are you up for the challenge?

Here is Tracy's creative Dare for you for August:
  1. Create a project featuring a photo/portrait of YOU!
  2. Journal or use words to describe who you are TODAY!
  3. Incoporate your own handwriting in your piece
Also entering this in
Try it on Tuesday - Anything Goes
Fab 'n' Funky Challenge #132 - Anything but a card




23 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You did a fantastic job with that painting. At first, I thought you freehanded it. Pretty impressive, though.

Kalea Wavedancer said...

I really like this. And I really like this challenge. I might actually take time to do this.

Julia S-W said...

Wow Sandee - how amazing is this piece of work?? Love how you've created the background and all the journalling. It's lovely to read what you say and your sense of humour shines through here even for someone who has only just 'met' you. I was spooked by the flower at first but when I read what it represented I loved it! You should enter this in more challenges - lots of people should see this!
Juliax

Neet said...

What a fab exercise and what a super duper result. You are right to be proud of it.
Thanks for sharing - Hugs, Neet xx 27 (can't find your WOYWW)

Redanne said...

Hi Sandee, goodness if I did one of those everyone would roll on the floor laughing! But yours, my dear is a triumph and I am so glad it hangs on your wall because it so deserves to. Love it! Crafty hugs, Anne x

TwinkleToes2day said...

What can I say, except - WOW!! This is just fantastic to me! I don't know you but this picture tells me a lot about you (even though you described it, lol)Bravo! :0)

Mary Pat Siehl said...

wow this is so cool! love the colors and well, just about everything! great job

Jean said...

I love what you did!! Great way to do your journaling.

bellefrogworks said...

You did a wonderful job -I love that you used writing and collage to represent different aspects of who you are and what you love.

angie/shuggy said...

this is simply so cool!!!

Craftychris said...

oh wow, its absolutely fabulous! I so love it - it looks amazing on your wall. xx

Dawn said...

Ooh Sandee, what a fab mixed-media piece, you should be so very proud of yourself my lovely. I love how you've really let go and had fun with this and it definitely shows.
Big hugs x x x x

scrappymo! said...

Great job on this project. I enjoyed "getting to know you" more on this post.

I am not arty in that way...you have done a great job on this.

May said...

Sandee.. This is Fabulous.. the background is AmAzing..I love it all.. It soooo deserves to be hanging on your wall.. WOW!! it's a winner in my book... Hugs May x x

Evil Edna said...

wonderful fresh and crative, thank you so much for joining us at TIOT, hope to see you again soon.EE

Pat N. said...

Sandee, this is AMAZING! You are such a talented artist. Always love to read what you write too cause I know the end result comes out 100 times better than you always think it does!! Great job. Thanks for your comments on my b-day card, and for always stopping by.--Pat

Teresa Jaye said...

WOW,WOW,WOWEEEE - oh Sandee, this is amazing! I just love everything about it. All of the layers are gorgeous and all of the meaning in each of the elements is so fabulous. I have often thought about painting over a photo but haven't tried it - you've inspired me - I will try it! This is one awesome piece of artwork and I'm so glad you hung it on your wall!
Thanks for joining in at Frosted Designs too!

Tanya said...

Great job on the August Dare! It turned out fabulous!!

Barb King said...

Great work, and how nice that you included such meaningful statements.

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Sandee,

This looks great!! I just love it.

Hugs,
Kay

Beth aka BR-T said...

Oh my gosh I don't know where to begin this is AMAZING!!!!

judit said...

Wow, this is a fantastic project! Absolutely stunning! Many thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky this week and hope to see you again next week! judit x

Anita Scroggins said...

Great project,,, I know for me it is hard to put those photos of myself on the paper! Thanks for playing along with us at Frosted Designs this week!