Friday, February 16, 2018

New life

Didn't you love it as a kid? A bonifide "do over"?
Well, in art, we can also re-think our art, and breathe in some new life to it!

Sometimes, it happens while working on a piece, maybe you sleep on it over night and wake up with a different plan. Sometimes you create something and just know it wasn't your best effort, and it sits there like a big white elephant in the room, staring at you every day, thinking, 
why did she abandon me? Doesn't she love me?

Sighs the artist, yes I love you but I didn't have the time...the direction...I was lost.
until now...


I totally love the redesign, just some simple touches with paper, paint and embossing powder and it has a new life breathed into it. I love the Art Deco Alphabet stencil, very cool lettering. I felt I need to jazz up the word "ART" a little so it could hold it's own next to the sophisticated "MATTERS".



I know you can easily see that I collaged the background with text paper, but did you notice that I also added assorted papers  to the paintbrushes and a few inspiring stamped words too!

The base was really easy to create with some Van Gogh Painting washi tape which I sealed with some Deco-page paste, added some Exotic Orient washi tape to the brush, a little bit of Dresden trim and some Mirror Gold embossing powder and I love it!

And speaking of embossing powder I covered the mug completely with all sorts of different Baked Textured powders designed by Seth Apter of The Altered Page and wow, it has a lot of dimension and depth now.

And some awesome products from DecoArt which helped me to pull it all together.

Now, guess who is also feeling a bit neglected now?

Linking up to Paint Party Friday where no one feels neglected!

22 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

I am in love with your redo Sandee! The added words and papers were just the spark it needed. Looking forward to your next redo. I def. see either a new hair color or background color so far. Happy PPF!

carol l mckenna said...

I like both the before and after ~ for different reasons ~ great inspiration, though, for 'redos' ~ lovely creations all!

Happy Weekend to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Faye said...

What a difference! Yes, the after one is so much more dramatic. It is beautiful with the embellished "art". I love embossing powders and can't wait till I move and can spread out for art again. Keeping the house pristine so it will sell is a real bummer.

Victoria said...

Gorgeous art, I love both versions. Beautifully done and such a powerful quote. I also adore the girl drinking from the blue cup, she is a beauty!
Happy PPF
Victoria #18

Christine said...

Lovely work this week! Always fun to have a 're-do'.

John R said...

Super work. Good idea reworking. It's worked out well. I usually dump, or most often shred my disasters and there are plenty.

JFM said...

Love the make over!!!
You have made it even better!

Happy PPF 🎨

DVArtist said...

Wow I love the do-over. The first one is fine but the touch up really shines. Good arting on your part.

Lynda Shoup said...

Great redo, Sandee. It does grab one's attention. Your way of using materials in this has sparked some new thoughts for me.

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

love the do-over! you took it from "nice" and "sweet" to cool and assertive. Great use of the washi tape and the embossing powder on the mug was genius.

Gwen Lafleur said...

Love how this turned out Sandee... the embossing powder on the cup looks amazing, and the washi tape and the papers you added really took it over the top. Awesome!

Jill McDowell said...

I love your redo Sandee. It’s so fresh and feels so graphic. It really pops now. I love how you spruced up the paint brushes with Washi Tape. What a creative way to use it. I’m starting to amass quite a collection of Washi tape and this is giving me ideas how to use it. I would love to hang this on my walls.

Patricia Ramos said...

Wow! Great do over project! Very creative use of the washi tape. I’m a big fan of your artwork!

denthe said...

What a difference it makes! Great reworking! I love how you also collaged papers to the paintbrushes. I can't wait to see what you'll do with your other "neglected" piece :-)

NatureFootstep said...

does not seem "simple" to me :) But I like waht you created. Ended up very nicely. :)

Seth said...

Oh yes. Loving what you have created here on round 2. And that mug...yup. I would drink from that!

Heather said...

Loving the depth of texture and rich intensity of pigment with the Baked Texture Embossing Powders! The whole project is awesome - thank you for sharing it with us!

BLOGitse said...

I like both of them.
Sometimes it's difficult to know when to stop or what to change :)

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your art, so lovely to have found you through Seth's blog. Love how you incorporated the Baked Texture. Tracy x

Jackie PN said...

Totally love your redo!
I especially love all of the neat mixed media details you have added...beads, squiggles, papers, E.powders...all of the yummiest! And now you coffee drinking gal is feeling neglected? well, we will just have to wait and see what you do with her!
hugs,Jackie xx

Anna said...

Love the redo...but also love the original! Aren't embossing powders awesome? Love the texture!

Gloria j Zucaro said...

I so love your redoux and thanks for showing all the projects, too.