Friday, October 20, 2017

Sense of self

This post finds me in washi tape heaven!

In Japan, it's known as masking tape (マスキングテープ) and the most renowned brand of washi tape is simply called mt - which stands for "masking tape". The term "washi tape" refers to the fact that the tapes are made from Japanese rice paper and differentiates it from typical masking tape you might find in the hardware store.
Vintage Stamps, Ransom Numbers, Wide Black Calligraphy, Star Woodblock stamp, and Old Letters & DaVinci Writing
Washi tape is actually usually made from natural fibers (like bamboo or hemp) or the bark of trees native to Japan such as mulberry, mitsumata shrub or the gampi tree.


But let's start at the beginning, this is my art journal page that I created.

And this is how it began...

I had some backgrounds pre-made ages ago using the Decorative 6-Petal Flower Screen stencil by Gwen Lafleur. I loved the backgrounds so much that I could have left them as is.


But then the washi tape was whispering my name in my ear...and wow, does Gwen carry the most beautiful designs! And oh look, one of the Darn Good Sari Yarn Sample Packs jumped out to join in all the fun!

OK...so my typing skills still haven't improved but while I was pecking away I couldn't help but notice this little person hiding among the splattered paint and coaxed him/her out of hiding with a little pen work.

I then laminated the piece, punched in some holes and tied it into the journal with the Sari ribbon. Have I mentioned that silk yarn is sublime

I doodled with the Star stamp and some Rubbermoon stamps and used my Overstitch wheel/pricking wheel through the paint to create the star trails.

 Thanks for stopping by! I really do appreciate you and will return the favor.
I promise!

When you stop by it makes me feel like I've been crafting with friends versus being by myself and I love that sense of camaraderie between artists.
One of the Turkmen jewelry parts
See you soon, I can't wait to see what you've been up to this week!
linking up with
Paint Party Friday

17 comments:

Gwen Lafleur said...

Love this spread Sandee! All of the washi is so fun, and that little quote that you added into the spine... so awesome how you found a figure in there! Love it!

Jean said...

You are so creative. Love all the fun details you added to this.

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful journal pages! Such lovely, delicate designs!

Christine said...

Lovely work with washi tape, I have only one roll and have enjoyed it too.

Carol Baxter said...

Each and every page is wonderful! And you made me go buy more washi tape!

Ineke said...

Those wash tapes are gorgeous!
The stamp one is sooooooo pretty and you created a nice page with it.

Jill McDowell said...

Sandee, I used some of Gwen’s Washington in a spread tonight. It’s really is luscious. Love, the little man you coaxed out,

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

This looks fabulous! Love the way you combined it all. Wish I could see it in person!

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I have heard of Washi tape but never seen it before. Very pretty journal pages. :)

Marjorie DUMONTIER said...

Your pages are just fabulous !!

Craftychris said...

Ooh fabulous pages - love the added Washi tape and the gorgeous little figure you found and enhanced! Wonderful! xxx

Giggles said...

Fabulous pages..and love the washi tapes and history of! Love how you intuitively pulled out that little face. Wonderful work with so much interest!

Peace Giggles

DVArtist said...

Great post with wonderful spreads.

Lynda Shoup said...

Love this page, Sandee! While I understand to leave a beautiful background as is, you really made it sparkle with the elements you added. The way you added the flap with the sari yarn is delightful. I love that pop of color. Wonderful. Wonderful!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

What a fabulous journal page. So fun to learn more about washi tape. I just adore the person you found on your typed piece!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Jackie PN said...

Sandee this is beautiful! I agree with what you said about those initial pages could have stood on their own- beautiful they were but I am sure glad you continued on as this spread turned out gorgeous! Love your layers and the man you found hanging out! Very cool intuitive work!
Thanks so much for sharing the washi info- very neat to learn these things!
hugs,Jackie ")

Kate Yetter said...

Really cool page spread. I absolutely LOVE all these washi tapes. So many amazing things to look at on this page.
Kate