Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Elderbeary shout outs!

This has been one of my most fun experiences in life, painting one of the huge bear sculptures that will be auctioned off to raise money for charity. My main sponsor, Meals on Wheels has been a delight to work with and I want to say thank you for picking me to paint your bear! I am honored!!

I also want to thank another sponsor who stepped up and made this project affordable and easy, Deco Art Inc. I don't know what I would have done without your help! They supplied all my paints and it was definitely appreciated!

I also want to mention that the Multi Surface Satins were exceptional to use, they went on creamy smooth and were easy to blend out. I had other artists in the same building who came over to check out my paints because my paints were doing so much better than the acrylics they were using. Notes were taken as to the paints I had chosen and I bet next year more Deco Arts Multi Surface paints will be used on the bears! These are the colors I used:

I also want to thank a few friends who sent me some products of their own who helped in ways I bet they didn't know when they sent me their gifts:

First, a shout out to the washi tape loving Tamiko McCurry who sent me loads of washi tape ( I never had used the stuff before and was delighted at how it helped with the lettering. ) I stretched out the washi tape and was able to write on it too in order to correctly space my words. It peeled right out afterwards with no damage to the paint!

I also want to thank Yvonne Armitage for sending me a pen, that literally saved my life with the small details of the Tiger Swallowtail butterfly. If I had to do the fine lines with a paint brush, well, I think I would have given up. I had plenty of odd looks from my fellow artists when I used a ball point pen too, lol but it worked like a dream! I had one artist ask to use it on her bear but it didn't work on her chalky acrylic paint, so another shout out goes up for the Deco Art Multi Surface Satin paints!! 

I could not have finished my bear without the help from everyone involved
THANK YOU!!


Here is a slide show presentation of the bear's creation.

10 comments:

Katy said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! I love how you painted it. The paint looks nice and rich. :)

Laura said...

Will this bear be displayed in downtown Hendersonville? My in-laws live nearby and I remember various colorful bear sculptures around the downtown area. Nice job and I can see how having a great quality paint would really be a lifesaver.

Anonymous said...

Oh my......I got a shout out?! My friend, you are most welcome, I'm so glad the pen worked so well for you. I absolutely LOVE Elderbeary......an amazing work of art my very talented friend. Luv ya and I can't wait to see how much she brings in for you and your charity.
Huggsss,
Yvonne

kmd said...

Wonderful job for a great cause! I miss seeing you in Gatlinburg but have enjoyed keeping up with your talents here :-)

Winnie said...

Oh, how beautiful! I had fun looking at all the details you added. That pen looks amazing to be able to write so well on it. The colors are so lovely (awesome looking paints!).Kindess all around from the donations to you the artist.I hope you raise a lot of money!

Pam said...

Oh Sandee, what can I say. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this gorgeous bear sculpture and how you painted it is exquisite! It is how you picture bears out in the meadow in flowers or berries. I love the beautiful bear sculptures in Cherokee and always thought how cool it would be to be able to paint one. You my dear have been able to do something I would LOVE to do. I have to say, I am a little envious. You did such a wonderful job and it is just perfect!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Marlene said...

Wow, wow, wow is all I can say...except maybe WOW! Love it Sandee

marionarmitage said...

Deco Arts Paints are the best, It used to be you hade to seal the porous surface and then once the painting was done you had to seal it. I have not used the Deco Arts Multi-surface but it sounds like it is a one step process. Love your bear and those flowers are beautiful.

Carole Z said...

Sandee, I am speechless! This is an amazing piece of work, I LOVE it, absolutely beautiful thank you for sharing it's creation through the slides. I love the idea of these placed about town to raise funds...last year in the largest town near us, Bristol - they had Gromits (as it is where Aardman is from) and it was a huge success. In a smaller town close to us this year they have fabulous hares...but I love this bear so much! Hugs from UK, Carole Z X

Barb Craft said...

This is so incredible Sandee!!! (I was bragging on you to my husband who HAD to see the final project!) You are an amazing artist!! Sooooooooo incredibly talented!!